Recipe by Cullinaryjudge
A homemade filling that tastes much better than store bought. I use the recipe with apples grown by friends or try using a tart apple such as Granny Smith.
Top Review by Martina
I prefer this recipe, because you can make as many quarts as you want. For apple crisp, I just dump the jar into a glass 8x8 pan, and add a crumble topping made of rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, and a little cinnamon.
- 5 cups apples, peeled cored and cut up
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or 1 teaspoon bottled lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine apples and sugar in large saucepan.
- Let stand until juice begins to release.
- Stir as you bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Mix in tapioca, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Boil hard for 1 minute more.
- Pack into hot sterilized quart jar to within 1/2 inch from top.
- Place sterilized metal lid on the jar and screw metal band on securely.
- Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- Repeat for as many jars as you like.
- Makes 1 quart; enough for 1-9 inch pie.