Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A homemade filling that tastes much better than store bought. I use the recipe with apples grown by friends or try using a tart apple such as Granny Smith.
- Combine apples and sugar in large saucepan.
- Let stand until juice begins to release.
- Stir as you bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Mix in tapioca, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Boil hard for 1 minute more.
- Pack into hot sterilized quart jar to within 1/2 inch from top.
- Place sterilized metal lid on the jar and screw metal band on securely.
- Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- Repeat for as many jars as you like.
- Makes 1 quart; enough for 1-9 inch pie.
I prefer this recipe, because you can make as many quarts as you want. For apple crisp, I just dump the jar into a glass 8x8 pan, and add a crumble topping made of rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, and a little cinnamon.
First off, these ingredients are right off the Minute Tapioca box. So I hope the canning time is correct. This smells delicious. I hope this is good as I am canning 7 bushels with this recipe..YES 7 BUSHELS! That is 350 pounds. It smelled so good the kids were looking for the pie, even though they knew I was canning. Also a WIDE mouth Quart jar is for a 9-inch pie, and REGULAR mouth Quart jar is for the 8-inch pie.
Only thing is.. How long do you cook this in a pie shell? And would you still dot it with butter in the pie shell?
UPDATE: I am down to my last jar and so making this again! Yes, dot it with butter when you put it into the shell when baking the pie. You can use this with a crumb topping as well. I also used this recipe for a topping for cheesecake! Delicious!
Sadly I cannot even give this stars because I ruined it before I could even try it! Just in case anyone is wondering, it is NOT ok to use regular tapioca instead of minute tapioca! I learned this the hard way...it never dissolved, and left the little crunchy tapioca balls even after I cooked it down to mush! I had to throw it out! Will try again though next time I have apples and MINUTE tapioca!