This recipe is a tasty accompaniment to roasts, cold meats or cream cheese. Prep time includes cooling time.
- Bring apples and water to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are falling apart, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Press apple mixture through fine strainer into heavy large saucepan.
- Puree green peppers and chilies with 2 cups sugar in processor or blender.
- Add to apples.
- Mix in remaining 3 cups sugar and vinegar.
- Boil over medium heat 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add pectin and boil exactly 2 minutes.
- Stir in red pepper.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
- Shake jars occasionally as jelly cools to distribute peppers evenly.
- Store in cool dry place.