Recipe by gwenrk
Oh my gosh. This pie is sooo good. Apples and cheddar compliment each other very nicely here - what else can I say? Try this one instead of your old standby apple pie recipe.
Top Review by star4586
My mom gave me this recipe from a book she has. It's by FAR her favorite. I have made it twice. Beautiful pie, so flaky and delicious! I'm going to make it again today, trying to use a gluten free flour for a friend. Hope it works as well!!!
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup shortening, chilled
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 6 -8 tablespoons ice water
- 8 tart apples
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- For pastry: Combine flour, sugar, mustard and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender.
- Stir in cheese.
- Sprinkle in water, 2 tablespoons at a time, tossing with a fork until dough can be gathered in a ball.
- Knead, divide into slightly unequal halves, and chill 45 minutes.
- For filling: Cut apples into chunks.
- Toss with butter and remaining ingredients.
- Roll out smaller portion of dough and fit into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Fill with apples.
- Roll out remaining dough and fit on top.
- Sprinkle with topping, cut slits in top.
- Bake at 350°F degrees for 1 1/4 hours.