Recipe by ellie_
These muffins are so good for for breakfast before school or to pack in a lunch with a salad. Recipe source: May 1981)
Top Review by Lynn 2574
Very good! I did make a few changes. I doubled it, and got 36 muffins. I didn't have any buttermilk, so substituted with 2% milk mixed with 1 TBS of lemon juice. I mixed the baking soda with the flour, along with about 1/2 tsp of baking powder (as suggested by another reviewer). I omitted the nuts, and added about 1 tsp. of cinnamon. I had WAY too much topping left... at least double what I needed. Will definately make again, but will add more cinnamon, and some nutmeg. Very yummy!
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine, room temperature
- 354.88 ml brown sugar, packed
- 158.51 ml corn oil or 158.51 ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml flour
- 354.88 ml apples, peeled and diced
- 118.29 ml pecans, toasted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour muffin tins or use paper liners.
- In a small bowl combine white sugar and butter and mix with a fork until crumbly and set aside for topping.
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar, oil and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, soda, salt and vanilla.
- Alternately add buttermilk mixture and flour into the brown sugar mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Fold in apples and pecans (if using).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins and then sprinkle with reserved topping mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick tests done.