Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve warm with a la mode.
- 2 packages active dry yeast or 2 compressed yeast cakes
- 1⁄4 cup water (see note)
- 3⁄4 cup milk, scalded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter or 1 1⁄3 cups margarine, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (20 ounce) can sliced apples
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Use very warm water (105` to 115`) for dry yeast; use lukewarm water (80` to 90`) for compressed yeast.
- Sprinkle dry yeast or crumbled cake into water.
- Let stand a few minutes, then stir until dissolved.
- Pour hot milk over 1/3 cup sugar, the salt and 1/3 cup butter.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Stir in the lemon extract and eggs.
- Add the flour gradually.
- Place the dough in a greased 9x13x2-inch pan.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Turn the chilled dough out onto a floured surface.
- Roll into a rectangle, 16x12-inches.
- Spread 1/3 cup butter or margarine over 2/3 of the dough.
- Fold the unspread portion of the dough over half the covered portion.
- Fold the 3rd section over the first 2.
- Roll the dough to its original size, and repeat this process twice, using the remaining butter.
- Return the dough to the refrigerator, and chill overnight.
- Next day, divide the dough in half.
- Roll each half into a rectangle 14x9-inches.
- Cut into strips 14x3/4-inches.
- Twist and form each strip into a spiral roll.
- Put a few drained apple slices in center of each.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon mixed with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Let rise in a warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in preheated 375` oven for about 12 minutes.