My Mother-In-Law gave me this recipe after we were first married. It is so easy and tastes so wonderful. It's well loved by many. I can't say for sure if it's authentically Danish, but we served it at our Danish Dinner when we were doing an International Dinner Club. Everyone loved it! Cream cheese frosting is good on this. NOTE: The pastry-to-topping ratio is correct. It's very thick, and must be spooned onto the pastry and then spread to the edges, not over the sides. It will be thicker than the pastry. This seems like it may be getting too brown, but as long as it is still a nice brown, 1 hour is OK. Also be advised there is no sugar in the Danish Pastry itself, the sweetness will come from whatever you choose to frost it with! I use cream cheese frosting with almond flavoring.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 eggs (room temperature- important!)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Cut butter into flour.
- Add water and mix with fork.
- Shape into a ball and divide in half.
- Pat into two 12" X 3" strips on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bring water and butter to boil and remove from heat. Then IMMEDIATELY, (this is important), add flour and beat until smooth, then eggs, one at a time, beating.
- Add flavoring.
- Add almonds, if using.
- Spoon half of filling on each strip of pastry and spread just to the edges. It will be very thick. Bake 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Frost. (There is no sugar in the pastry itself, so the sweetness comes from whatever frosting you choose to use.).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is SOOOOO yummy! I was so afraid since the recipe didn't call for sugar we wouldn't like it. Without the frosting...we didn't. But with the frosting it is heavenly! I LOVE the almond flavor in both the filling and stirred into cream cheese frosting. My 6 year old exclaimed, this deserves 8 million thumbs up. My 3 year old cried for another serving. This family has a MAJOR sweet tooth, and if it sweet enough to satisfy us, it will satisfy ANYONE. Thanks so much Chef PotPie!!!!! Made for ZWT3.Reply