Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Served this as part of brunch for family gathering, it was a huge hit!!24 hrs in frige and 40 minutes cooking. from local newpaper.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tart apples, peeled,cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 loaf Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine brown sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Add apples and cranberries, toss to coat well.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over bottom of baking dish.
- Arrange bread on top.
- Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon until well blended.
- Pour mixture over bread, soaking bread completely.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- Bake, covered with aluminum foil, in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes, serve warm.
Great recipe! I used 1 c. of maple syrup instead of brown sugar and it was delicious. We had it for Christmas breakfast! Thank you for sharing!
This was delicious! I made it for my family for a christmas morning treat. I used italian loaf and didn't use all of it. Maybe 3/4's. next time for 4-5 people I will half the recipe. Thanks for posting!
This is a great way to serve up breakfast! I, too, used a dark bread (actually a nutty, multi-grain bread), & it went extremely well with the apples & cranberries! I'll certainly be making this another time, possibly with some other dried fruits! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for the Summer Salad & Berry Recipe Challange]