1 hr 30 mins
This recipe dates back to 15th-century England, and legend has it that it was named after Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- 2Put the apples, cinnamon, lemon zest and juice and sugar in a saucepan.
- 3Cover and simmer gently until pulpy, stirring occasionally.
- 4Beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon, then cook, uncovered, over a high heat, stirring continuously, until any excess liquid has evaporated and the purée is very thick.
- 5Brush the butter all over the slices of bread.
- 6Line the base and sides of a greased 6 inch deep cake tin (such as a Christmas cake tin or substitute a coffee can or vegetables tin, as long as it does not have ridges) with the slices of bread, making sure that they overlap.
- 7Spoon in the apple purée and cover with more over-lapping slices of bread.
- 8Bake for about 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- 9Serve at once, turned out and accompanied with real custard or fresh cream or clotted cream to pour over it.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Charlotte
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.4
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.4 mg
- Sodium 6.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: