Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful dessert, served warm or cold. It is also great as a sweet breakfast cake. It is especially good served warm with vanilla, white chocolate or coffee ice cream.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup sugar (separate)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk (non fat is OK)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, plus 2 tbsp butter (separate)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 -6 cups cored peeled and thinly sliced apples
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a food processor or bowl, mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut 3/4 cup butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture (whirl in food processor or cut in with a pasty cutter) until textured as fine crumbs.
- Beat milk and eggs to blend and pour into flour mixture. Whirl or stir until moistened. Knead on floured surface until dough holds together.
- With floured hands, press dough into bottom of 9"X13" baking dish. Press edges up sides to form a slight ridge.
- Arrange apple slices, slightly overlapped, in 3 rows down the length of the pan.
- In processor or bowl, whirl or cut together 1 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp butter, and cinnamon until it has the texture of fine crumbs. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes or until the cake is browned. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cool.