Recipe by katej76
I got this from the Sunday times magazine,I modified it slightly.Easy to make and my kids gobbled it up,was a hit with my darts team as well
Top Review by Diceydi
Very easy to make and deeelicious. Have made this twice now. The first time was great. Then I mentioned the recipe to my Mother who said she had a similar recipe, which pressed 2/3rds of mixture into pan, then spread a layer of jam over it and then pressed the remainder of the mixture over the top. Baked for the same amount of time. No need to ice. Results just in from trying this out and it is to die for... Slice is going fast and won't last much longer. Try it!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups desiccated coconut
- 200 g chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 250 g butter
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 160 degrees C.Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin.
- Combine oats,flour,sugar,choc chips and coconut in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup over medium low heat in a small saucepan.
- Combine bicarb and hot water and add to golden syrup mix.
- Pour golden syrup mix into bowl and mix together well,choc chips will probably melt from heat of golden syrup mix.
- Press into tin and bake 20-30 min or until cooked through,do not overcook or it will be tough instead of chewy.
- Cool in tin for 10 min the turn onto wire rack to cool before cutting into squares.
- Can omit the choc chips.
- Can melt 300g dark chocolate and pour on top of cooled slice.