Recipe by ellie_
I made these cookies to use up some ingredients - but made modifications. The original recipe called for unsweetened coconut (2 cups) - I had sweetened coconut which I used decreasing the sugar to 3/4 cup (original recipe was 1 cup sugar). Original recipe called for 3T golden syrup -- didn't have any so used 3 T maple syrup. I found the recipe on Facebook but it was submitted by Saveur Magazine. Below is my changed recipe which came out pretty good if you are a coconut fan. Want to try the recipe again as written without my modifications
- 2 1⁄4 cups oatmeal (I use slow cooking oatmeal, original recipe calls for rolled oats, but I think that is the same thin)
- 2 cups coconut (see description, I used sweetened, but original recipe calls for unsweetened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 10 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (I used pure maple syrup, original recipe calls for golden syrup which is not available where I live)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk dry ingredients (oatmeal - sugar) together and set aside.
- Stir water and baking soda in a measuring cup or small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter and syrup together over medium heat. Then add in the water/baking soda mixture.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheets which have been covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.