Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are traditional Australian oat biscuits and until I found this recipe and made them recently, I had forgotten just how delicious they were.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (can use white)
- Combine dry ingredients (oats, coconut, flour and sugar) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Melt butter and golden syrup/honey over low heat.
- Add bicarbonate soda to the boiling water and pour into butter mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix to a firm and moist consistency.
- Drop teaspoonfuls onto a cold greased tray or one lined with baking paper.
- Cook for 15 min at 180 Celsius.
- Cool on wire rack.
This is my favorite Anzac recipe, which is also very close to the Australian Women's Weekly one. The only difference is using 1/2 cup coconut instead of a full cup. Also you put butter, golden syrup and the water in small saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until butter is melted and THEN stir in soda. The mixture goes all foamy. Then put into dry ingredients. Sometimes I have to leave it at this stage to tend to the family, but it bakes up well the next day or whenever I have time to bake them off!! Amazing the things you try when you have crying kids..haha.Thanks for posting Perfect cook!
Easy and yummy! I took Lee_tah's suggested alterations, for one dh doesn't like coconut so I only put half in and it was easier for me to skip a step with the wet ingredients. Only other change, sorry purists, but I had no Golden syrup and no sense buying any when I have honey and blackstrap molasses in the cupboard... so to use some nutrient dense food i went with the molasses. Which gave them a darker look. Also put them in my fan-forced oven at 160C for 15mins.
Mmmm great! The mix was a little dry and not coming together, so i just added about another tablespoon of boiling water. Put them tablespoon sized blobs on baking paper lined trays and got 22 biscuits.