Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful dessert for any time of the year. I use frozen bagged fruit just for ease but you can use fresh. A new twist to a tried and true dish! Enjoy.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen strawberries (May substitute 4 cups of fresh berries of choice for frozen) or 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed berries (May substitute 4 cups of fresh berries of choice for frozen) or 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen blueberries (May substitute 4 cups of fresh berries of choice for frozen) or 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen fruit, of your choice (May substitute 4 cups of fresh berries of choice for frozen)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup almonds (optional)
- In glass baking dish or deep pie dish add fruit, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.
- This is the secret ingredient!
- It will really make the flavor of your fruit pop.
- In separate bowl combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, salt, and butter, with fork until it forms a crumble consistency.
- Add nuts if desired.
- Sprinkle over top of fruit.
- Dot with additional butter if desired.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until crumble on top starts to lightly brown and crisp.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Serve alone or with whipped cream or ice cream.
This was very tasty and easy. The only change I would make would be to the amount of butter in the crust, since it comes out very floury and crumb-textured. I think 1/2 cup would probably better. Otherwise, the vinegar and pepper give it a nice boost without being overpowering. I used frozen wild blueberries, and since they're pretty tart, I added a tablespoon of sugar to the berries. Thank you for a yummy and easy recipe!