Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from the Anne of Green Gables cookbook by Kate MacDonald. "Diana poured herself out a tumblerful, looked at it's bright-red hue admiringly, and then sipped it daintily. "That's awfully nice raspberry cordial, Anne," she said. "I didn't know raspberry cordial was so nice." " Anne of Green Gables chapter 26
- Put the unthawed raspberries into a saucepan and add sugar.
- Cook on medium, stirring occasionally until all the sugar ahs dissolved.
- Using a potato masher, mash the raspberries and syrup thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer, extract all the juice.
- Squeeze two of the lemons and strain the juice, add it to the raspberry juice.
- Add the boiling water to the raspberry juice.
- Allow the cordial to cool, then chill it in the refrigerator.
- Serve cordial with a thin slice of lemon in each glass.
I was just getting ready to post this very recipe. I too have Kate MacDonald's wonderful little "Anne" cookbook. This is a delightful drink. The young girls especially like it.
I have to confess, the idea of the Raspberry Cordial had me so excited. I have been a huge fan of Anne of Green Gables since I can remember. This is a little time consuming to make, and the taste is very different. I can't decide if I like it or not. It's unlike anything I have ever had before in my life.