Whenever I prepare dinner for a friend (new baby, death in family, etc.), I always include this yummy pie, along with a carton of Cool Whip. It's the perfect ending to any meal. (Prep time does not include chilling).
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, flour, cocoa and salt in small bowl.
- Blend well.
- Stir in 1/4 cup milk and egg yolks.
- In a saucepan, combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar and remaining 2 cups milk; place over medium heat and gradually bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir 1 cup hot milk mixture into the cocoa mixture, then return to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Let mixture boil for 5 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell and let chill 2-3 hours before serving.
- Top each slice with a dollop of Cool Whip when serving.