Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in one of my cooking light magazines. These biscuits are easy to make and they have a great taste. I used 3 C. white flour and 2 C. wheat flour and vegetable oil instead of the shortening and they turned out perfect!!
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl, let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add yeast mixture and buttermilk to flour mixture; stir until just moist.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead lightly 5 times.
- Roll dough to a 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Brush melted butter over the biscuit tops.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden.
I knew when I saw the picture and the measurements of the ingredients that this would be the perfect dinner rolls. Will make over and over again! Well done!
These rolls were a great accompaniment to my spaghetti dinner! We loved them! I halved the recipe for 4 people and it was just the right amount! Great bickies that I will make again! Thanks for posting!
Delightful! Light and fluffy with a great taste. Served them last night with steak and your Herbed Basmati Rice and this morning with apple butter. OH yum. Made for adopted chef fall 2008.