Recipe by liz timm
I am always on the lookout for good yeast bread recipes. This is a good one.
Top Review by CookinCaliDiva
LOVE LOVE LOVE! I usually make White Bread Plus #10478 for weekly baking, but for Thanksgiving I wanted to try something different to braid. This is wonderful, light, fluffy and the dough is very easy to work with. Only change I made was to use half the amount of sugar. It still had a touch of sweetness which was perfect.
My tip is this...do this by hand. Learn to kneed the dough by hand properly and your bread will come out PERFECT every time :) I have used a bread machine and my mixer for the dough when I'm short on time and while it comes out great..it's never as fluffy and tender like it is when I kneed the old fashioned way.
I also used an egg wash (1 egg, 1 tsp water and 1 tsp sugar) to baste the bread with twice during baking.
- 2 cups warm water
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 6 cups bread flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, then add the yeast.
- When yeast is proofed, mix in salt and oil.
- Mix in flour one cup at a time.
- Knead dough adding more flour if necessary.
- Place in a well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat.
- Cover with a damp cloth.
- Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Knead for a few minutes and divide in half.
- Shape into loaves, and place into oiled pans.
- Allow to rise until dough has risen 1 inch above the pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.