Old Fashioned Yeast Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 3⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons honey or 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast in water, add honey and let stand until it bubbles, approx 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add salt and oil to yeast mixture, then add flour a little at time until you have a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and mold into a ball shape. Place in pan and cover; let rise for about an hour.
- Punch down the ball of dough and mold it into a loaf shape to fit you bread pan. Cover with a towel and let raise again until it doubled in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 45 minutes. Bread is done when it is golden brown and sounds hollow when thumped.
Join The Conversation
One more question. I know sometimes using a metal bowl, glass bowl, or Tupperware bowl will make a difference on what you are mixing, such as meringue for example. Can you use any bowl for this or does it need to be metal or glass if mixing by hand also when you let it sit to rise? I don't have a kitchen aid so I will be doing this by hand.