Member #610488's Note:
The oatmeal raisin cookie has an international origin. Oatmeal cookies are the descendants of oat cakes made by the Scots and the British. Oat cakes first appeared when the Scottish began harvesting oats as far back as 1,000 B.C. History records that raisins and nuts had been added to the cakes since the Middle Ages. The first recorded oatmeal raisin cookie recipe was written by Fannie Farmer in 1896. Billed as a “health food,” the cookies quickly became popular, and by early 1900's a recipe for the delicious treats appeared on every container of Quaker Oats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats or 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup chocolate chips (optional) or 1 cup white chocolate chips (optional) or 1 cup toffee pieces (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3 baking sheets. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- 2Place the brown sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer set on high speed until light and fluffy.
- 3Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- 4Gradually stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Stir in the oats and raisins until blended.
- 5Drop the dough by rounded spoonfuls 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- 6Flatten the dough slightly with a fork. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- 7Cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.
- 8Serve warm or at room temperature. Once baked, cookies will keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for American Kitchen Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (956 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.4
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.0 mg
- Sodium 74.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 1.6 g