Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Healthy Version)
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
14 large cookies
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (I used a mix of golden raisins, sultanas and cranberries)
- hot water, for plumping raisins
- 1⁄3 cup non-dairy milk (e.g. soy milk)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce (I used a banana applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt flour)
- 1⁄4 cup flour (I used spelt flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats (I used a mix of five different grain flakes)
- Put raisins (or dried fruit of choice) into a medium sized bowl. Cover with hot water and allow to soak until ready to use. Drain well before using.
- In a large bowl use a fork to vigorously mix together the non-dairy milk and flax seeds. Add in the sugar and applesauce and mix for about 2 minutes until it reaches a caramel colour. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Sift in flour, spices, baking soda and salt. Fold in oatmeal and raisins.
- Drop dough in generous tbs onto a paper-lined (or greased) baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Flatten the tops a bit.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!