Recipe by Q & A's Mom
Amelie’s French Bakery in North Carolina has been known for their Salted Caramel Brownies since they first opened their doors. The recipe was printed in Charlotte Magazine and supplied by Amelie’s. I'm posting here for safe keeping. When making these brownies here are some important tips: * Be sure to use foil to line your pan. Be sure to butter the foil well ; really well, this way you can lift the entire sheet of brownies out of the pan and onto a cutting board to cut into bars, which will allow you to make cleaner cuts and make prettier brownies. * Do not overbake. It's suggested to bake the brownies for exactly 25 minutes, but keep an eye on them. * For the caramel, be sure to babysit the water and sugar mixture when boiling. It starts turning light brown after 5 minutes or so, and turns amber quickly after that. * Chill the brownies to set the caramel. * You may choose cut and place individual brownies in paper muffin/cupcake tin liners. It prevent brownies from sticking together. ******PLEASE NOTE: TIMES ARE ESTIMATES ONLY******
Top Review by Margaret D.
I haven't made this yet but after looking at the reviews I have the perfect Carmel recipe. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caramel-pretzel-bites. This is a great recipe but the Carmel is easy to make and delicious. If you don't have a candy thermometer keep a bowl of ice water next to you to test the soft ball stage. When you drop a small amount into the water pick it and and rub it between your fingers. This will give you and idea of what the consistency will be. cook until you get a nice caramel color.
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups salted caramel glaze (see below, prepare glaze when brownies are cool)
Salted Caramel Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons gelatin powder, combined with 1/4 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch pan with foil and then butter well.
- In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, melt chocolate and butter, being sure the water in the bottom of the double boiler does not touch the top pan. Stir chocolate and butter until completely melted. Then stir in sugar. Blend well. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs. Stir eggs into chocolate mixture. Then add flour, stirring until completely blended. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Completely cool brownies in pan. Pour caramel glaze over brownies and cool in fridge until caramel sets. Slice into bars, about 2 inches square.
- Salted Caramel Glaze:.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm heavy cream until hot, but not boiling. In a separate tall saucepan, combine sugar and water. Place over medium-high heat. Do not stir as sugar dissolves and mixture reaches a dark amber stage. Add cream, butter, and salt. Stir gently until mixture is smooth and well combined. Remove from heat and add gelatin, stirring to combine. Use immediately.