Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a delicious brownie recipe I found on the IBS message boards. It's so simple to throw together, and you would never guess that it's low-fat and dairy-free! I like the brownies best when they're cool. Yum! They were originally called "Mom's Best Brownies", but I renamed them because I didn't want to imply that this was my mom's recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites or 6 tablespoons Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 8" square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and salt; mix well.
- In large bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture until just blended (Do not overmix).
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until just set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20-25 min.
- Place pan on wire rack and cool at least 15 min.
- Cut brownies into squares.
I would definitely make these brownies again. The brownies are slightly different from a "typical" brownie. The texture of the brownies reminded me of a cross between a cake and brownie. The brownies were less dense and had the moistness of a cake. I will definitely make these again and try the peanut butter suggestion.
I pureed half an apple in my vita mix for the apple sauce. Once the batter was in the pan I topped it with some creamy peanut butter. then swirled it into the batter.Very good.
Simple and very quick! I liked it a lot and will make it again .. thanks!