Recipe by megano o
While this quiche may take a little more effort than others - it is worth every second!! Very healthy and SUPER tasty! After trying many quiche recipes in search for a good one - I created this, which none other has even come close to!
Top Review by CathWithKids
I now make this using an oil pastry similar to 171806 as my children didn't like the oat pastry too much. I didn't find it any more difficult than my old quiche recipe. This is the first recipe I have ever cooked using eggplant where even my children begged me to cook it again tomorrow!
- 1 cup oats
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄2 zucchini
- 1⁄2 summer squash
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces fresh grated mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- **of course vegetables can vary according to season and preference CRUST Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To prepare crust, combine oats and oat bran; cut in butter and applesauce with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add water; stir just until moist.
- Press mixture gently into a ball on wax paper, and cover with additional wax paper.
- Roll dough, still covered, into a 10-inch circle.
- Remove 1 sheet of wax paper, and fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Remove top sheet of wax paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- QUICHE adjust oven to 325 In a large frying pan, cook eggplant, tomatoes and garlic until soft.
- Add zucchini, squash, spinach, mushrooms, onion, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Blend and continue cooking until almost all juice is evaporated.
- Place vegetable mixture aside in a large bowl to cool Beat eggbeaters with ½ Parmesan cheese.
- Combine with vegetable mixture.
- Pour ½ vegetable mixture into quiche crust.
- Sprinkle rest of Parmesan cheese and ½ mozzarella evenly over mixture.
- Pour in remaining vegetable mixture and top with remaining mozzarella cheese Bake in 325 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Quiche should be set and well browned.
- Serve hot or cold.