Recipe by Laka
Amaretto adds a good amount of sophistication to this cake recipe that is simply perfect for a late afternoon pick-me-up.
- 250 g plain flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 220 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 220 g sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on the cake
- 4 eggs
- 50 g almonds, chopped
- 50 g almonds, ground
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 dash milk or 1 dash yoghurt
- 200 g amaretti, crushed
- 125 ml amaretto liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix and combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar together for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour mixture between each addition.
- Add the chopped and ground almonds, the remaining flour, the lemon zest and vanilla extract. If the mixture is too thick add a little milk or yoghurt until it is a dropping consistency.
- Mix the amaretti biscuits and amaretto together in a separate bowl.
- Pour half the mixture into tin and level the surface with a palette knife until smooth. Place the crushed amaretti biscuits on top. Cover with the rest of the mixture and sprinkle the top with sugar. Bake in the oven at 160°C for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.