Why choose between aloo gobi and aloo mattar when you can have both? This is a really tasty dish adapted from the Aloo Gobi recipe at Route79.com - It's a great alternative if you're interested in sneaking some more green vegetables (in this case, peas) into your curry! Traditionally this kind of dish is made in a karahi, but a wok or large nonstick pan with cover works. I highly recommend using ghee for the best flavor. Gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free. Serve basmati rice and chapati or naan.
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 large onions, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch- 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated (including juice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium hot green chili pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large wok, karahi, or deep nonstick pan over high heat. Add onions and cumin seeds, and cook until onions are translucent. Then add the minced garlic, chunks of ginger and chili pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all remaining spices, including salt. Stir well.
- Immediately add potato to pan. Stir until coated in oil and spices. Turn heat down to medium and sauté potato for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock, then put lid on pan, lower heat to medium-low and simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower florets, grated ginger and lemon juice. Stir well. Replace lid, turn heat to low, and let simmer for about 10 minutes. If the ingredients are sticking to the pan, you can add a bit more stock or 1/4 cup of water at this point.
- Add frozen peas to pan, and stir ingredients. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add half of the fresh cilantro, and mix thoroughly. Replace the lid, then allow to rest for 10 minutes before adjusting salt to taste and serving dish over rice. Garnish with remaining fresh cilantro.