1/2 Photos of Aloo Gobi Mattar - Cauliflower, Pea and Potato Curry
What's Cooking?'s Note:
Why choose between aloo gobi and aloo mattar when you can have both? This is a really tasty dish adapted from the Aloo Gobi recipe at Route79.com - It's a great alternative if you're interested in sneaking some more green vegetables (in this case, peas) into your curry! Traditionally this kind of dish is made in a karahi, but a wok or large nonstick pan with cover works. I highly recommend using ghee for the best flavor. Gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free. Serve basmati rice and chapati or naan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 large onions, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch- 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated (including juice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium hot green chili pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Heat oil in a large wok, karahi, or deep nonstick pan over high heat. Add onions and cumin seeds, and cook until onions are translucent. Then add the minced garlic, chunks of ginger and chili pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2Add all remaining spices, including salt. Stir well.
- 3Immediately add potato to pan. Stir until coated in oil and spices. Turn heat down to medium and sauté potato for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Add chicken or vegetable stock, then put lid on pan, lower heat to medium-low and simmer for around 15 minutes.
- 5Add the cauliflower florets, grated ginger and lemon juice. Stir well. Replace lid, turn heat to low, and let simmer for about 10 minutes. If the ingredients are sticking to the pan, you can add a bit more stock or 1/4 cup of water at this point.
- 6Add frozen peas to pan, and stir ingredients. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- 7Turn off heat. Add half of the fresh cilantro, and mix thoroughly. Replace the lid, then allow to rest for 10 minutes before adjusting salt to taste and serving dish over rice. Garnish with remaining fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aloo Gobi Mattar - Cauliflower, Pea and Potato Curry
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.1
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 486.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: