Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An excellent tea or dessert cake. Serve with fresh berries or sorbet. (Try Fresh Strawberry Topping). This is from a Jr. League cookbook.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, blend together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Stir in the extracts and beat until smooth.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a bundt pan.
- Press almonds against sides.
- Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan 10 minuts then remove from pan and cool on a rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Marvelous! The best tasting pound cake I've ever tasted. The almonds just topped it off. I also used the same topping recipe that Bev used. It was wonderful. Thanks for posting such and outstanding recipe.
This is truly an outstanding pound cake. The texture is perfect and flavor so delicately flavored with almond. I served with Sharlene's suggested recipe #129886 for a truly scrumptious finale. Thank you so much for sharing, Sharlene!