Pumpkin Apple Cake
An easy to make, moist and delicious cake. Perfect for brunch, afternoon tea or dessert. I don't remember where I found this recipe but I've been making it for years and it's a Fall weekend favorite.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven at 350.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter in an elec mixer then beat in sugar until the mixture is pale yellow.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in apples (I use Golden Delicious) and vanilla.
- Add pumpkin and mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the orange peel if you like, it's optional.
- Blend in the dry ingredients a bit at a time until well mixed, add peel if you choose.
- grease and flour a 9" bundt pan or two loaf pans; cook cake for 55/60 minutes or loaves for 45/50 minutes (check with cake tester at 45 minutes).
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, loosen and turn out on board to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar when completely cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
IiLeft this exact recipe on a cabinet door in a second floor apartment in Seagate, Brooklyn ,NY in appox 1985/86. It is wonderful recipe which I made for my family and friends hundreds of times. The recipe was given to me by a woman I worked with at Lens Express named Laura. It was an old family recipe that she really didn't share with anyone. The only thing I adjusted was I grated the apples on a safety grater. I am so excited to have found it again!
Just made this for my family Thanksgiving... they LOVED it. Literally the entire cake was gone (I had to secretly put some aside for my 2 year old who was napping-- who also loved it by the way). My family was RAVING about how great it tasted and the moistness (I used a tad more pumpkin and a shake of pumpkin pie spice and allspice in addition to the ingredients listed). I received requests and plan to make this again for Christmas!