Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Great dessert for entertaining
- 1 cup marzipan
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon kirsch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake-and-pastry flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup blanched whole almond
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 egg whites
- 1 dash cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup kirsch
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- For cake, preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Grease and line a 10-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Grease again and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- Pulse marzipan, butter and sugar in a food processor until smooth.
- Add eggs, kirsch and vanilla and purée on high until smooth (scraping into the bottom of the bowl, if needed).
- Scrape batter into a bowl and stir in flour in two additions.
- Scrape into prepared pan and bake for 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan.
- For meringue layer, reduce oven temperature to 250 °F and line bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan with parchment.
- Pulse 1/3 cup sugar and almonds in food processor until ground.
- Toss with cornstarch and set aside.
- Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy, then add remaining 1/3 cup sugar and whip until a stiff peak forms.
- Quickly but gently fold in ground nuts and spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until dry.
- Run a spatula around edge of pan to loosen meringue, cool completely.
- For Kirsch cream, whip cream to medium peaks, and whip in icing sugar and Kirsch.
- To assemble, slice marzipan cake in half.
- Spread 1 cup of Kirsch cream over cake and sprinkle with ½ cup of cherries.
- Place meringue disk on top and spread with another cup of cream and ½ cup of cherries.
- Top with other half of marzipan cake and spread remaining cream, topped with cherries.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Cake can be assembled up to 4 hours in advance.