Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a dish my best friend and I cooked up after finding something similar on the internet. It is of course loaded with almonds, Amaretto and almond paste and we had such a good time preparing it -- with the Amaretto of course.
- 6 large plain croissants, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 8 large eggs, beaten slightly
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup almond paste, cut into bits (3 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- chocolate chips, for sprinkling over top
- Preheat oven 350ºF.
- Butter a 13x9" pan and place the smallest rounds in a layer at the bottom, then top with a layer of the larger ones.
- Whisk eggs and sugar well together, then add half-and-half, Amaretto, vanilla and almond extracts, mixing well.
- Pour over croissant rounds.
- Sprinkle with almond paste and push down with a spoon so that the bread absorbs all the liquid.
- Let set for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Sprinkle almonds and chocolate chips all over the top and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Serve warm or room temperature.