2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In 'William-Sonoma: One Pot of the Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 lbs boneless duck breasts
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece peeled fresh ginger, grated (1 inch piece)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise, broken into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 6 baby bok choy, each cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- 2In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
- 3Rub the mixture all over the duck breasts.
- 4Place in the pot, skin side down, and sear, turning once, until well browned, 4-5 minutes per side.
- 5Transfer to a plate.
- 6Pour off all but a thin coating of fat from the pot.
- 7Add the onions, garlic, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and star anise and saute over med-high heat until the onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 8Add the broth and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pot bottom.
- 9Stir in the sugar, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce and bring to a boil.
- 10Return the duck breasts to the pot.
- 11Partially cover and cook over very low heat for 1 hour.
- 12Uncover and skim the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid.
- 13Arrange the bok choy around the duck breasts, pushing it slightly into the cooking liquid.
- 14Partially cover and cook until the duck is very tender and the sauce is thick, about 30 minutes.
- 15Cut the duck breasts on the diagonal into thin slices and arrange on a platter with the bok choy.
- 16Spoon the sauce over the top and serve.
Browse Our Top Duck Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Allspice Duck With Braised Bok Choy
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.3
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 308.4 mg
- Sodium 953.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 58.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: