8 hrs 40 mins
I discovered this one a few weeks ago. I started out trying to make chicken and rice and ended up with this. It is very tender and very good. An excellent make-ahead dish for summer. All the work is done before the crock pot is even warm. This is excellent for fajitas, pasta salads, chicken salad, soup, added to beans and rice, just laying on bread for chicken sandwiches, or just eating cold.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If using thigh portions or a cut up fryer, etc, remove all skin and as much fat as possible. I boil the skins with garlic for the dog.
- 2There is no need to bone the chicken.
- 3Put about 1/4 inch water in the slow cooker.
- 4Rinse the chicken well, getting into the crevices, and sprinkle with the Cajun seasoning on both sides.
- 5Go easy at first; this is NOT low-salt and it tends to be a little spicy.
- 6I start immediately placing the chicken in the slow cooker.
- 7I rinse one piece, season both sides, and layer it in the pot. When you are done seasoning all the chicken (I generally do 2-3 lbs in a batch; less is not worth the time), cover the pot and let the chicken stand for 30 minutes.
- 8At the end of that time, cover the chicken fully with water (don't skimp) and set the cooker on "Low." Cooking time is up to you.
- 9A minimum of 8-10 hours is what I recommend. I usually set the chicken cooking in an afternoon, and let it cook overnight. Often it will cook for 12-24 hours.
- 10This is an excellent dish for those of us who never learned to properly debone a chicken ;) At the end of the cooking time, merely pull out the chicken pieces and separate the bones from the meat. It will literally fall apart. Save the broth for adding to mashed potatoes, gravy, rice or soup.
- 11You will have a good deal of chicken here. Separate into smaller portions and freeze.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for All-Purpose Crock Pot Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.2
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 99.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 21.3 g