Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This modified version of 'mom's' chili was a hit at our 2004 Christmas Party. We made an extra large pot to have some left to freeze but it never made it to the freezer. It was a favorite by all. Perfect for any cold and rainy day. You won't find this one in a cookbook. It is truly an original.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 medium yellow onions
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (11 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef in large pot.
- Add chopped onions to ground beef when almost brown and sautee until wilted.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Add kidney beans if you like beans in your chili.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for 2-3 hours or 6-8 hours on low.
- Serve with cold clean lettuce and shredded cheese (It's a Cajun thing).
I added black beans and corn to this and LOVED it! Goes great with Cornbread and milk!