Chef #379453's Note:
Have been looking for a recipe for Sourdough Sauce for Years ! Finally found one posted 5 years ago ! Don't you LOVE the internet ! They called it Cranberry Ketchup and said they got the original recipe from "The Good Stuff Cookbook", but had changed a few things. Serve this sauce with pork or turkey or salmon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup onion, mild, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 4 slices orange zest (1-inch wide from top to bottom of orange)
- 9 cups fresh cranberries (3 - 12oz bags)
- 1 cup cider vinegar (or more if needed)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed (or more if needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1Combine onion, water and orange in a preserving pan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered until onion pieces are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add cranberries to the pan and return to a boil. Partially cover the pan and cook mixture, stirring occasionally, until the berries are quite soft, about 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and cool slightly.
- 3Scrape half the mixture at a time into a food processor. Puree the batches to a moderately fine texture and return to rinsed out preserving pan.
- 4Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring almost constantly, until it is thick, about 3-5 minutes. When it has reached a ketchup like consistency, (adjusted for taste with additional water, vinegar and brown sugar if needed) press through a sieve and return to pan.
- 5Return to a boil and then ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Add two piece lids and process for 15 minute sin a boiling water bath. Cool, label and store for up to a year.
- 6Ketchup is ready to serve within a few days but improves with age. If solids and liquids separate slightly in storage, just stir.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alaska Sourdough Sauce - Cranberry Ketchup
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 181.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: