Splenda Cranberry Sauce
I had this marvelous cranberry sauce about 5 years ago at a friends house. Since I have Diabetes, I substituted Splenda for an equal amount of sugar...you could switch back if you like. I love this recipe and make it every year at Thanksgiving. It's best if you make it several days ahead to allow the flavors to blend. It's a step above the "norm".
- Ready In:
- 4 cups fresh cranberries, picked over & rinsed
- 2 cups Splenda sugar substitute or 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled & cut in 3 pieces (if you don't have fresh ginger, add 1/2 tsp ground ginger with other spices)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- Mix together in large pot, cranberries, sugar (or Splenda), water& juice, salt, ginger pieces (not ground) and orange zest.
- Bring to boil and cook about 10 minutes or until all berries have burst.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 1/2 hour.
- Remove ginger pieces and add cinnamon, ground cloves and all spice.
- Blend thoroughly and allow to cool completely.
- Put in covered bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Excellent recipe for Splenda or sugar substitute. I have two diabetics in my family so finding a sugar substitute based cranberry sauce recipe is important. I did make this recipe the regular way (without orange juice) and tried it. Family agreed flavors were too strong. I made the recipe again and reduced Splenda by 25%, no OJ but doubled water, cut ginger, cinnamon, and allspice amount by half, and omitted cloves. This made for a milder flavor and not the strong Splenda aftertaste. I am sure keeping the OJ would have altered the flavors, but that is a lot of added sugar that would defeat the purpose of a sugar-free cranberry sauce. I suggest you make this recipe in a small batch before you serve it to a large group so you can adjust flavors accordingly. You do need to wait at least a day so the flavors can merry before you can get an accurate taste. It you taste the day of you will be too overwhelmed by the flavors.