Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A light salad. Cook time is refrigeration time.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced (or green)
- 2 -4 cups mixed greens
- In a medium bowl, stir vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Quarter cucumber lengthwise. Remove seeds. Cut quarters crossswise into 1/8″ thick slices.
- Add cucumber, onion, cilantro and chili pepper to vinegar dressing; toss until combined.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on bed of greens.
What a wonderful salad and a nice change from our normal cucumber salad!!! I made this as written, but scaled back for just the two of us. This is so similar to ours for the first 6 ingredients, except we use apple cider vinegar and no sugar. We enjoyed the slightly sweet heat to the cucumbers!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 9.
We loved this spicy/sweet salad...it's so refreshing on a hot summer day! I can see it being doubled or tripled for those who have lots to feed...but for hubby and me...it was just perfect...I served it as a side...but next time I think I will throw in some cooked shrimp to let them marinade along with the other ingredients for a nice lunch dish...this is a keeper...thanks for posting it...=)