Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a different kind of stew as the cinnamon is the promident smell as it is cooking, but blends in with the other spices and flavors creating a nicely flavored vegetable stew.
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils, rinsed (I like red lentils or a mixture of red and brown)
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 15 ounces whole tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 10 ounces frozen green peas
- 9 ounces frozen green beans
- salt and pepper
- Melt margarine over medium heat in a large saucepan; add onion, parsley, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, pepper and ginger; stir occasionally until onion is tender - add some water if it begins to stick.
- Stir in water, carrot and lentils; boil, then reduce heat and cover to simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in rice, and undrained tomatoes; boil, then reduce heat and cover to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in peas, beans and salt and pepper to taste; boil, then reduce heat and cover to simmer 5 minutes or till tender.
- If desired, serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream - 1 serving = 275 cal, 3g fat, 56g carb, 10g fibre, 12 g pro.
Excellent- very filling stew. Followed the recipe as written. Thanks!
Really enjoyed it! I didn't add the rice or the lentils and it still turned out a treat :)
I followed this pretty much exactly, and maybe added a bit more turmeric. This was so terrific, and even though quite hot here in Maryland, this really made the day very special. This had a wonderful bite, with the cinnamon, lentils and ginger. I topped mine off with some yogurt and will make this again, most likely a lot in the fall time. Very easy to put together, and especially loved the parsley addition too. Thanks, Luv2Bake. Made for *ZWT4* June 2008.