African Peanut Stew (Elephant Stew!)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 5 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 lbs beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 -6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon red pepper (or less, to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chunky peanut butter
- peas and carrots (optional)
- steamed rice
- hot sauce
- In a large heavy kettle, heat 3 tablespoons oil.
- Roll beef cubes in flour, then brown in hot oil.
- While this is cooking, add nutmeg and chili powder.
- When meat is browned, add onion, garlic, water, red pepper to taste, and tomato sauce.
- Simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- If desired, add carrots and peas while stew is simmering.
- A few minutes before serving, heat peanut butter and remaining 2 tablespoons oil (this can be done in the microwave).
- Stir peanut butter mixture into beef stew over low heat.
- Let simmer 15 minutes, until peanut butter is absorbed.
- Serve over steamed rice with hot sauce on the side.
Join The Conversation
So tasty! The house smelled great while it was cooking...my whole family loved it. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and omitted the red pepper. I also seasoned the chicken while it was cooking with salt and pepper, and added more salt (seasoned) and pepper to the stew after it had simmered. I thickened the stew with a little cornstarch/water mixture, and we ate it over white rice. I'll definitely make this again! Made for ZWT7.
I made this as is, but deleted the nutmeg and decreased the chili powder (Husband's taste). I also used carrots and no peas. This smelled so good while I was cooking it, like a swiss steak. --Then, I added the peanut butter. My conservative husband and daughter did not like the peanut butter taste. I thought it was just OK. I packaged the leftovers up in individual packages with rice added to each package for my lunches. Do you know this stuff grew on me and I now get to craving it?!? I really started liking it and will fix it for myself again.