Recipe by Charmie777
Delicious sounding recipe that uses beef in place of elephant! Posted for 'Zaar World Tour II.
Top Review by Marcasite Queen
So tasty! The house smelled great while it was cooking...my whole family loved it. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and omitted the red pepper. I also seasoned the chicken while it was cooking with salt and pepper, and added more salt (seasoned) and pepper to the stew after it had simmered. I thickened the stew with a little cornstarch/water mixture, and we ate it over white rice. I'll definitely make this again! Made for ZWT7.
- 5 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 lbs beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 -6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon red pepper (or less, to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chunky peanut butter
- peas and carrots (optional)
- steamed rice
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy kettle, heat 3 tablespoons oil.
- Roll beef cubes in flour, then brown in hot oil.
- While this is cooking, add nutmeg and chili powder.
- When meat is browned, add onion, garlic, water, red pepper to taste, and tomato sauce.
- Simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- If desired, add carrots and peas while stew is simmering.
- A few minutes before serving, heat peanut butter and remaining 2 tablespoons oil (this can be done in the microwave).
- Stir peanut butter mixture into beef stew over low heat.
- Let simmer 15 minutes, until peanut butter is absorbed.
- Serve over steamed rice with hot sauce on the side.