Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe about 2 years ago in a magazine which I promptly misplaced. About a month ago I got it again in an email from Cuisine at Home. This time I promptly made it with mustard greens from my garden and took it to a potluck. All I brought home was an empty pot it was so good. I've adjusted the cayenne because some people found it to be a bit warm at 1/2 tsp although my dh and I enjoyed it as is.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup dry instant couscous
- 4 cups mustard greens, stemmed, chopped
- Heat oil in a stock pot.
- Add onion sautéing until transparent.
- Add carrot, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and seasonings.
- Cook about 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broth, chicken, tomatoes and greens.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and couscous.
- Cover, remove from heat, and allow to sit 5 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with peanuts and scallions.
I had no idea what to expect from this, just had a bunch of mustard greens from my last farm share of the year that I needed to use and am not into "greens" as a side dish. Since
I had the other ingredients handy, this recipe won. I used canned tomatoes that already had chiles in them, so omitted the chili powder, and cut the cayenne is half as a personal preference. I also used about 2 cups of cooked chicken breast from the freezer. In any event, it was absolutely delicious! The peanut butter is not overwhelming, but gives the soup a depth and richness. Had 2 bowls already and am looking forward to taking it to work for lunches this week!
I'm not going to lie, I was very apprehensive of this recipe at first -- Peanut Butter in SOUP! ... But it really turned out well. Tasty and different. The mustard greens at a bit of peppery flare. Very good!
This was very good. Made it just as listed. Healthy recipe and a nice way to use the mustard greens. Thank you for a different kind of recipe!