This recipe is from an Afghan cookbook that came out in the 1990's. I think that the restaurant was in Minnesota. Their recipies were very good.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb
- 2 onions, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups water
- 35 wonton wrappers, square
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 yellow onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- To Make the Yogurt Sauce: Mix together the 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- To Make the Tomato Sauce: Slice the 1/2 yellow onion and boil in a medium-size saucepan with the 1 1/2 cups water until tender.
- In a blender put the cooked onion slices, 8 oz. tomato sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Put into a medium-size saucepan.
- Add the diced carrot and chickpeas and cook the tomato sauce until the carrots are tender.
- To Make the Stuffed Pasta: In a large frying pan cook the meat, 2 diced onions, green bell pepper, 1 Table. garlic powder, 1 Table. ground coriander, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper and 1/4 teaspoons cayenne.
- When browned, add 2 cups water and cook until the water evaporates.
- Let cool somewhat.
- Put 1 Table. of the meat mixture in the center of a won ton square (3 1/2 " x 3 1/2").
- Wet edges with water.
- Pull 2 opposite corners together in center and firmly seal.
- Do the same with the opposite corners, sealing all together.
- Repeat with remaining filling and won ton wrappers until of it is all used up.
- Oil a metal vegetable steamer and place the filled won tons on it.
- Cover and steam 15-20 minutes.
- To Serve: Spread a thin layer of yogurt sauce on each plate.
- Put stuffed pasta on each plate and drizzle a little yogurt over each.
- Drizzle tomato sauce over each pasta.
- Garnish with the dried mint leaves and chopped fresh cilantro.
I think the flavors in this are just terrific. I found the pasta packets a little difficult. Howevrr, if you let them cool a minute in the steamer, they do not stick or break open.