Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A rich, and spicy chowder for a chilly day. From Emeril.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 (2 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatillos
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, for garnish
- Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Heat milk in a saucepan. Add bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, and peppercorns. Just before milk comes to a boil, add the onions, remove the heat and cover.
- In a food processor, puree the chilies, tomatillos, and 2 boxes of the corn.
- Add the pureed mixture and the remaining box of corn to the milk mixture. Simmer over very low heat for 30 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Pour the soup into individual bowls over cubes of cheddar cheese. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with warm crusty bread.