1/1 Photo of Accidental Orange Raspberry Muffins
Heather U.'s Note:
I started out intending to make a lower-fat, lower-sugar version of "Lemon Raspberry Muffins" by Recipezaar (#6967), but realized in the midst of making them that I didn't have any lemons nor lemon extract. *sigh* I did have an orange, though, so here's the "accidental" muffin I came up with to salvage my bowl of dry ingredients. You can obviously use sugar in place of the splenda, and full-fat versions of other ingredients (whole eggs, more oil, whole milk yogurt), but they taste awesome as is!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 orange, juice of (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon liquid lecithin
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, unthawed
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2On a cookie sheet, place 18 foil muffin cups (the kind that don't require a muffin tin obviously!) and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- 3In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well using a wire whisk.
- 4In small bowl, combine yogurt, orange juice, orange zest, oil, lecithin, corn syrup, vanilla extract and egg whites; beat well.
- 5Add to dry ingredients, stir until ingredients are just moistened; use a light hand or the muffins will be tough.
- 6Carefully fold in the frozen raspberries.
- 7Use an ice cream scoop to place a dollop of the batter into each muffin cup; I actually ended up with 17 not 18 muffins, but you may as well have 18 cups handy just in case.
- 8Prepare the topping in a small bowl by combining the 3 T of splenda and the cinnamon; sprinkle about 1/4 tsp on each muffin.
- 9Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 18 to 23 minutes (took 20 minutes for me tonight) or until golden brown.
- 10Cool 5 minutes, and eat'em up!
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Accidental Orange Raspberry Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.5
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 163.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
nonfat vanilla yogurt
oranges, zest of