Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
Another of the recipes in Diana Liu's cookbook that my Dad gave me 42 years ago. Abalone is very expensive now and can be found in Asian markets in cans. There is also an alternative that I think is Conch. This is the best soup ever!
- 1⁄2 cup canned abalone, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup bamboo shoot, sliced
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms (prepared by soaking in hot water for ten minutes, then squeeze and remove stems and slice)
- 1⁄2 lb chinese greens, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths (bok choy)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 egg
- Bring broth to a boil and add salt if using. Add Chinese greens; boil 2 minutes; add mushrooms and bamboo shoots; boil 5 minutes more. Add abalone before serving. Break raw egg into soup and let set 5 minutes, then stir into soup. Serve hot.