Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A cookout "must-have" for kids of all ages!
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 8 fluid ounces vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons celery seeds
- 6 fluid ounces tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- Sauté onion and brown the hamburger.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring often, until desired consistency.
- (The simmering step can also be done in a crockpot on low.) This freezes very well.
I havent tried this but I grew up in an A&W and helped my mom make the chili dog sauce. This recipe isnt even close.
I felt this recipe was too bland, not enough kick for a chili dog. I think none of the flavors did any justice to each other. I ended up adding some ketchup just to give it a bit of twang. I'm from Ohio and nothing like the A&W I remember.
WAAAY to much celery seed and sugar. Mine only made 5 pints and that's after adding 43 oz. of pureed tomatoes. Tastes more like Burger King Chili. It's great with sharp cheddar melted over it!