Recipe by xonexhotxblondex
Make your own corn dogs just like at the fair with this rich buttermilk corn batter
Top Review by kellychris
When I planned to make this everyone ( my mom, fiance, friends) were saying "why don't you just BUY some FROZEN ones? Seems like alot of work to me-". I am so glad my stubborness prevailed b/c these were great!! My daughter said DEFINITE 5 stars. And these actually took less time to make than most casseroles I've tried!!:) Thanks!!
- 1 quart oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 lbs hot dogs
- wooden stick
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in melted bacon drippings. Make a well in the center, and pour in the egg, buttermilk, and baking soda. Mix until everything is smooth and well blended.
- Pat the hot dogs dry with paper towels so that the batter will stick. Insert wooden sticks into the ends. Dip the hot dogs in the batter one at a time, shaking off the excess. Deep fry a few at a time in the hot oil until they are as brown as you like them. Drain on paper towels or serve on paper plates.