Recipe by Kim D.
This recipe was printed in the Houston Chronicle, as one of the Century's "Best Recipes"!
Top Review by Zestphobia
I am trying a couple of 7 Up cake recipes on here, so far I have made two of them. This recipe is very good. I made it with vanilla rather than lemon, and just over 2 cups sugar. It had a very rich pound cakey taste to it, more so than the other recipe I tried. Had only the very slightest lemon taste. Really just tasted like an excellent pound cake with a very delicate crumb texture. Rich but not overly sweet. Seemed to me to be a very reliable version of a true classic. I will be making it again.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 -3 cups sugar (see note)
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 7-Up soda
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavor extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a large tube pan.
- Cream butter and shortening with sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour alternately with 7-Up and extracts.
- Bake until done, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- *NOTE*The recipe originally called for 3 cups sugar, but 2 cups are sufficient.
- There is no need to adjust amounts of other ingredients if you use less sugar.