Recipe by DadOf6
First, thank you to *Parsley* - Chef # 199848 - for inspiring me with her "Thick and Chunky Crock Pot Game Day Chili," Thick and Chunky Crock Pot Game Day Chili. I had tried about 20 different recipes for Chili, and *Parsley*'s was the best. But I've been tweaking it for a year and a half now, and I think I did it! This chili is medium to medium-hot, not very sweet, hearty and stew-like, with depth and a delicious aftertaste. I make in a 7-quart crockpot, for my large family. If you like your chili sweeter, use a red onion instead of a white onion; add more brown sugar; and/or add more chocolate chips. Be careful: a little chocolate - just like cumin and cinnamon - goes a looonnnngggg way!
Top Review by motoxer
We tried this chili tonight, and it was FANTASTIC! Not too spicy, not too mild. Although the addition of chocolate to the recipe sounds odd at first, I must say that it adds that little "something" that you didn't even know was missing! I would highly recommend this recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing pork, cut into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 big white onion, chopped
- 3 small bell peppers, chopped, I like to use 1 each of red, yellow, and orange
- 1 -2 orange habanero pepper, chopped, careful, these are HOT
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon spice world chopped garlic
- 5 (15 1/2 ounce) cans beans, I use 2 cans dark red kidneys, 2 cans light red kidneys, and 1 can black
- 2 (16 ounce) jars chunky salsa, medium (I like Pace)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups crushed tostito tortilla chips
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed
- 1 beef bouillon cube, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sazon goya
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 5 -10 dark chocolate chips, yes, between 5 and 10 chips, depending on desired sweetness
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a 7-quart crockpot. It might be easier to combine in a larger vessel, mix, and THEN transfer to your crockpot. Cook on "High" for 5 hours, or "Low" for 8 hours.
- I typically serve the chili over a bed of whole Tostito chips, with a layer of shredded cheese in between.