Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from my husband's grandmother, and we modified it a little bit to make it gluten and dairy free. As a kid this was my husband's favorite meal, and he used to walk around singing a little song about it "5 Spice Beef and Rice, Cha Cha Cha!" The five spices are pepper, bay leaf, garlic, thyme and oregano. It's very easy to make, and a good dinner staple.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup olive
- Brown meat and onion.
- Stir in seasonings, soup, tomatoes and rice. You may need a little bit of extra water if using brown instant rice.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is cooked.
- Serve with sliced olives (optional). Salt and pepper to taste.
Yummy, a wonderful staple at our house
Very easy and quite yummy.
Excellent weeknight get-it-on-the-table-quick, oh-my-gosh-that's-good dinner (and complete in much less than the stated time - you should adjust that so you can list this as a one-dish, under 30 minute recipe). I stirred in the thyme/oregano/garlic-powder in for a few seconds before the wet ingredients - a quick burst of dry heat brings out the flavor in dry spices. Thanks for a great easy recipe, AllergyGirl (and Geshundheit)!