Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Don't like too sweet pecan pie? You'll like this one then, it's mostly nuts with just enough filling to hold them together. Nice change of pace and very decadent. I saw a pecan pie at a local Creole restaurant, in a suburb of Washington DC, that gave me the idea to develop this one.
- 5 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the pecans on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Let cool completely.
- Place the roasted nuts in a food processor and process until smooth and buttery.
- Add the flour and pulse until incorporated.
- Scrape into a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until it starts to foam and turns a light brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, vanilla, and browned butter to the nut paste and stir until well blended.
- Fold in the remaining 5 cups pecans.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked pie shell.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the filling is slightly puffed and the crust is golden brown.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This has to be the best pecan pie I have ever made or tasted! Pecans take center stage in this fabulous recipe. Simple to prepare with excellent results! Thanks for sharing, Steve!
Love this not too sweet pecan pie. I must say I did not follow the recipe exactly as I mis-read the direction. Instead of 1/2 C of Pecans toasted and processed, I used 1/2 of the Pecans! But, it turned out great and was very tasty. I had request for the recipe! Next time I will follow the direction, who knows maybe even better. Love the flavor
Best pecan pie I have ever made. Pecan pie is my husband's hands-down favorite, and he absolutely LOVED this one. He had another slice of pie for breakfast the following morning. I'm not a big fan of pecan pie normally, but I ate an entire slice of this one and it was delicious.