Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe came about because of a foodtv "30 Minute Meals" episode that featured a chicken pot pie made along these lines. I just took the recipe and changed it to meet our taste. Very tasty.....great comfort food.
- 1⁄2 lb stew meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 large carrot, cubed into small cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 large potato, cubed into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 (5 count) can biscuits (I prefer the flaky type of biscuits)
- salt and pepper
- Bake biscuits according to package directions.
- Pour broth into the saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Place cubed stewmeat into broth, salt and pepper to taste and turn to simmer.
- Pour olive oil into a med size preheated pan.
- Place margarine in pan with olive oil and melt.
- Place carrots into pan, followed by onions, then potato.
- Cook until tender.
- When vegetables are tender, stir in flour until well blended.
- Pour slowly the beef/broth mixture over into the veggie mixture and heat until thickened.
- Place this in serving dish and top with the baked biscuits.
Fabulous flavor...the only change I made was to top the skillet mixture--still bubbling with flaky canned biscuits and pop into the oven at 425F. for about 18 minutes. Made for ZWT3.
My family loves this meal. I havd done in exactly as the recipe and will recommend it often. So easy Thank You! UPDATE Many years later-- I have made this recipe at least once a month for my family. I have even made it for pot lucks and larger family gatherings. It is so easy to make.
My husband doesn't normally like pot pies (because of their crust he says) and he's not normally that big on beef stew, but he likes this. I will definitely be making it again! I actually used matchstick carrots chopped into smaller pieces for my carrots and it worked well.